The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Lampropeltis getula

Nothing gets my attention quite like the sight of a big snake, even a harmless, beneficial one like the common King snake pictured here exiting, stage left from my back patio. I was breezing through my kitchen yesterday morning, looked out the French door, and there he was, all 4 feet of him, quietly lazing in a pool of water having a drink on me beneath my potted, just-watered Azalea. After my heart re-started and I began to breathe again, I was happy to oblige, because among other undesirables, like gophers, (bane of my existence,) rats and mice, the King snake kills and eats rattlesnakes.

To find out how I feel about those pernicious monsters, please read "What a disaster," my tale of Price's near-death experience after being bitten by one on a bright, Spring morning in 2005. I don't care for rattlesnakes, and I'll kill them on sight, but I'm happy to share my home with Lampropeltis getula. Go forth and multiply King of snakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment