The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Saving Oscar

This is Oscar, an adorable mutt of about 7 or 8 years , that came into my life a little more than a year ago. He belongs to Jeff, one of my best friends, who got him from me after I rescued Oscar from the Corona, CA animal shelter. And I mean right after I got him. As I was lifting him down from the truck after our ride home from the shelter, Jeff took one look and said something like "oh, he's so cute," literally took him out of my arms and gave him a permanent, loving and perfect home. While the pair were getting acquainted, I off-loaded from my truck to his approximately $80 worth of product that I had picked up at PetCo on the way home. Collar, leash, bed, treats, toys and a little jacket, because it was cold. I admit that I'm drawn to kennel club dog shows on TV like a sucker to a freak show and it was the sponsor dog food commercials that got me. They were offering a donation made per bag sold to shelters and some slick ad guy came up with irresistable dialogue set to heart rending music and they got me. "I know how to sit. I know how to stay. I don't know why I'm here, but I know I'm a good dog." The little dog faces so forlorn behind hard chain link gates on cold concrete. I couldn't stand it. I had to foster a dog and find it a home. I wanted a dog that was unlikely to get adopted because of its age or medical condition. Lord knows, I, of all people, don't need any more animals with medical issues, but I thought maybe something not too severe, just enough to make it difficult to place. So I went online and found Oscar. That wasn't his name at the time, but he was black and white, and that's good with me. He was described as good-natured and older, maybe 7 or 8, and had been found wandering down a busy street, dirty and malnourished. So, I made the hour-long drive on Interstate 15, had a meet and greet, paid his fees and took him home. Jeff and Oscar are inseparable. Oscar has a bed velcroe'd to the center console of Jeff's truck as well as several scattered around his house. The little dog adores him. They have breakfast together every morning and more often than not Oscar gets to go to work. His teeth have been fixed, he's well fed and has become slick and healthy and pretty darn well mannered for a terrier. I don't know who did the better job of saving, me of Oscar or Oscar of Jeff, but somehow it all worked out.
Here's a link to Pets 911 where you can find a shelter or rescue near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment