The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Backyard Naturalist

I am certainly not a naturalist. I don't have any formal training in the sciences and I don't actually study the natural world. I just find it interesting from time to time. John Bartram, John J. Audubon, Alexander Wilson and Charles Darwin are all famous naturalists from past eras for whom I have the greatest respect. Bartram was a botanist, considered the father of American botany. Audubon died in 1851 and during his life attempted to paint and describe all the birds of America. A poet, ornithologist, naturalist and illustrator, Wilson was a Scotsman transplanted to America with several species of birds named after him. Charles Darwin was an English naturalist whose theory of natural selection came to be widely seen as the primary explanation for the process of evolution in the 1930s. As I said, I don't study anything, but thought I would keep my camera ready for a couple days and see how many images of nature I could collect from my own backyard. The bluebird above raised 3 babies from a clutch of 5 eggs.
Shooting through my horse pen, I caught a Turkey Vulture cleaning up road kill.
The hummingbird stayed at my Red Hot Poker plant giving me lots of different angles and seemed to wait patiently for me to get the shot.
This common ground squirrel shows up every morning outside my bedroom window while I'm checking my email. Once it warms up, I don't see him again.
I can't tell whether there are eggs in this nest built inside the steer skull that hangs from my garage, but something sure went to a lot of trouble to build it.
I have no idea what kind of butterfly this is, but it graced my garden for quite a while this afternoon.
These are cactus flowers that I wrote about last year when they bloomed. They're back in all their brilliant glory right now.
This little guy popped out of a planter on my patio when I was watering this afternoon. He hardly moved while I took 4 of 5 shots of him. I hope he finds his way back.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the butterfly is a tiger swallowtail. We get a lot of them here in MN along with the black with blue version too.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous. These are the things so many people are too busy to notice. I love bluebirds but they aren't so plentiful here in PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, black with blue version must be gorgeous and Holly, there are some days when I just can't help but notice...

    ReplyDelete