The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Red Hot Poker

This is a Torch Lily, also known as a Red Hot Poker plant or Kniphofia uvaria, and it is sitting with a couple other potted plants near my front porch. I just love this plant. It is a perennial that thrives in full sun and grows to between 24 and 36 inches tall. You can collect seeds from pods that are allowed to dry on the plant, and I have read about it being handed down from as many as 4 generations of family members who divided it from the tubers. It does well at my house, because it doesn't need a lot of attention and uses only moderate water. I feed mine in early Spring in an attempt to get as many flowers as possible. The rest of the year, I simply pull off leaves that turn brown as they age. The plant comes in 2 colors, red and the incredibly bright yellow that I have and is attractive to bees, butterflies and the reason that I planted mine, shown below. Isn't he gorgeous!

2 comments:

  1. I admit it, I'm a closet gardener and the birds and the bees are just icing on the cake

    ReplyDelete