The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The view from here

In southern California, we have what we call June gloom. Since it is the prelude to oppressive summer heat, I enjoy it while it lasts. It's a great time to get the property cleaned up from the Spring flush, a great time to tune up and train dogs, a great time to hit the treadmill and exercise, clean house, wash the horse trailer, and just about anything else that takes physical exertion. Once the heat arrives, it's harder to get motivated, and easier to stay inside where it's cool. Frankly, I love June gloom.

If it lasted all year, like in parts of the Northwest, I would probably wind up on Prozac drinking too much coffee. But for me, it's just a nice respite before the summertime bake. In years past I have hit the road during the worst of the heat, in August and September, going to dog trials in Utah and Colorado where it's not quite so bad, and I hope to avoid it in the same manner this year. I'm entered anyway, now I just have to come up with the money.

So today, I'm sitting at my computer enjoying the hummingbirds outside my window, getting ready to hit the treadmill, then go work dogs. I thought I would share with you that, yes, we have gloom in Southern California, but it is what you make of it.

1 comment:

  1. there are pluses and minuses to every climate. We are fortunate here in the USA to have a variety to choose from. Our plus is the spring/summer/fall. Our minus.....the long, cold winter.

    The dogs and horses enjoy the colder weather, me....not so much, I am a heat seeker.

    ReplyDelete