The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Oh Lord...Here We Go...

They're back...Here in sunny So Cali the rains have abated, temperatures warmed, flora has dried, and the foxtails are out with a vengeance. This picture of my shoes was taken after walking 2 times through my sheep pasture. Argh! How I hate them.

Just like my shoes, the deadly seeds creep into every orifice imaginable on our dogs. All too often, once in, they can't be found and may do unimaginable damage to tissue, organs, and extremities, which can result in pitiful suffering, permanent debilitation and death. Nice, huh?

In a couple months they'll be gone. Once they have dried completely, all it takes is a good wind to move them on their way. Thank heavens! And we all breathe a sigh of relief. If your dog is stricken by one of these nasty buggers please be sure and ask your vet to look everywhere, not just the known sight of invasion.

I once took Price into the vet with a foxtail in his butt. Can you imagine? But, it was worse than I thought. When I picked him up later that day, my vet showed me 2 foxtails, 1 from his butt, and one from inside his sheath at the base of his penis. Oy! When I asked her why she had looked there, she explained that since she has to anesthetize anyway, she looks everywhere. Her efficiency certainly saved him unimaginable pain, and maybe his life.

This site gives good descriptions of symptoms related to foxtails in dogs. Be careful out there.

1 comment:

  1. My dog twice had to be anesthetized to fish foxtails out of her nostril when she enhaled them. I hate the too! If your dog has series of violent sneezes a quick trip to the vet is in order.

    ReplyDelete