The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

$285.00

Nose in Question
Violent sneezing was the first indication, then I turned to see which dog, and Price added wild face pawing to the telltale signs of a dreaded, aspirated foxtail. UGH! Trouble, pain, and expense. Also deadly if not dispatched quickly.

Oh, the timing! Why now? NOT now! I was on my way up to Orange County to give lessons, and I was late already. Maybe he sneezed it out....yeah right. By now Price had quit sneezing, and had begun snuffling, wincing, and winking his right eye. I felt that sinking feeling as I began to guess at the vet bill.

Oh, the timing! I'm leaving in 7 days for 3 months of dog trialing, and my budget is skinny, so skinny. Yes, I have money stashed for the trip. No, I don't want to spend it on a vet bill. OK, I'll leave him until I get back and see how he's doing. I'm sorry big dog, you're going to have to tough it out once again.

I brought him in for the night as always, and sometime early heard Price sneeze rapidly 3 times. That's it. No more sleep for me. I carried him to the vet who rubbed his sinuses and gave me "the look" when he winced. "But I can't afford this," I cried. "Let me see what I can do," she answered resignedly.


Yes, it's bloody
Agh! I hate foxtails. They are nothing but trouble for dog owners everywhere. So I mow, I comb, I spray with Show Sheen to repel, I avoid areas, I warn people, I fret until the season passes. And still I get bit by them almost every year. Last year it was Star with one buried in his ear. Who will be next?

The deadly, barbed spore shown above was pulled from deep within Price's nose while he was anesthetized. He was groggy when I picked him up, but in the way only dog lovers know their dogs, I could see that he was relieved. So was I. I am still recovering from the hit to my wallet, but what can you do? Love the dog, that's all.

1 comment: