The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Monday, July 18, 2011

My Dogs Suck, or Nicomodes Part Deux

Bridget watching the action
Not really. My dogs don't suck, but they certainly sucked wind this weekend. Literally and figuritively. Star tried, he really did, but the sheep got the better of him. The good news is that every time he meets these strange new creatures called "range ewes," he gets stronger. Building up to the finals, (and his 3rd B-day,) this means that I'm right on schedule, and my fiendish scheme plan to take over the world have him fit and tuned is working. Buff was confused, but I've had him with me for about 3 weeks now. Truth be told, I'm the one confused...how to run him effectively. He's a nice dog, I'm reasonably intelligent. We'll figure it out. Mirk did what Mirk often does. He sent flighty sheep flying, never a good combination. And while he ran out of oxygen Friday, on Sunday he settled in and ran solidly mediocre while taking all of my flank whistles on the head of a pin and giving me his very best imitation of a steady whenever I asked. His outwork has gone South. I have no idea why.


Moving the Mob

On Sunday they gave us 8 head, and 12 minutes to move them around. They also reversed the drive, I'm guessing, in an attempt to mitigate the stomping and fleeing. It worked well, and most hands had a much better day. I say most, because my day was different, but not necessarily better, let alone much. After the outwork, it was a 4-4 split, put them through a chute they did not at all want to navigate, then re-gather in the ring and single. I saw some beautiful work, just not up close and personal. To finish was an accomplishment and the closest I came was timing out at the chute. Yay for me!

The Fetch
I'm going with cumulative scoring for my dogs. So, if I take Mirk's score and add it together with Star's score, I was 2nd on the day. That's the way I'm choosing to look at this, and as always, only remembering what we did right. Mirk was keen to listen. Star had the gorgeous outwork that I've enjoyed growing used to, and Buff...well Buff is recalling better than ever.

Great trial, genial hosts, good group of hands to spend time around, pretty scenery way up in the rockies. I highly recommend Nicomodes Gulch, but bring your ready supply of humility 'cause it ain't easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment