The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Terminal Dust

First Snow of the Year
Referred to by many as "terminal dust," I took Carbondale's first snowfall as a sign from God for me to go home. I'm writing this from Mountainair, New Mexico, and I'm on my way. Stopping to look at a puppy, I've taken the southern route, and gone about 10 hours out of my way, but it's cheaper than shipping him.

Yesterday was bittersweet for me. After just short of 3 months living in the RV, I'm ready for home, but I left behind a lot of awfully nice people, animals, and places that I came to love dearly over the summer. Carbondale, and the Roaring Fork Valley have a sparkle and glow that will linger with me for some time, or until I pull into my drive and experience finality.

I pulled out past sheepdog central, where I stopped and gave an abreviated goodbye to Max, Sonia, Kit, Ellen, and of course, Bridget. I'm not good at goodbyes, and it's only "so long," as I'll see them again sooner than later. Tears would be shed, so I kept it brief and hit the road with an addition to the dog roster, and a total of 6 on board. I've taken Hank to train for 3 months, and headed out to add dog #7, the pup I mentioned.

Going Home
The last job I helped with this summer was loading the trial sheep. Bridget started them down the lane early, then, together with good dogs Treat and Rosie, Ellen, Bridget, the truckers and I drove them through sorting pens and onto the truck. After Meeker, Ellen's sister, and Meeker Trial Director, Maym Cunningham, was quoted as saying, "the day after a big trial is like having a really bad hangover." That sentiment exactly reflects my feelings while loading those girls onto the truck. I imagine Bridget was glad to see them come, and glad to see them go. She was in charge of them all week long.

It's been a whale of a summer, and it's not over yet. I have about another 800 miles or so, which I'll spend a couple days covering. Hub and Allison are here in Mountainair with me. I'll be looking at their pup shortly, then heading out once again. My plan is to be home by Thursday, when the real work begins. I'll need some time to recover from this once-in-a-lifetime summer and settle in back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment