The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Rough String

Indie, Tam and Hank-bottom to top
Lucky me! I have 3 talented youngsters in my kennel at the moment to train, all at different levels, all with very different temperments, all loads of fun, all good dogs. In the past 10 years or so I have had to place 3 or 4 puppies that I realized were not a good fit for my program after I raised them. It takes careful selection and a bit of luck to acquire good prospects. It quite often takes some trial and error. To have 3 all at once is very good luck indeed, and I'm having fun with them.

Only 1 of the 3 above is owned by me. Tam, in the middle, I purchased on my way back from the National Finals this year. He is a son of Eileen Stineman's Don who has been used a great deal and has so far produced a Canadian open, and nursery champion, and a US Nursery champion along with an impressive string of other very nice dogs.  Now just 7 months old, Tam is showing to be very keen on stock, and a lovely dog to have around. He's a big, goofy puppy right now, but just you wait. I really like him.

Indie is shown at the bottom, and belongs to a very dear friend of mine. As mentioned in a previous post, she got off to a rough start, but is overcoming her difficult beginning and making a very nice individual. She is 15 months old now, and I hope to be trialing her in the nursery in the near future. Maybe as soon as Snowbirds on the Border held over New Years. After settling into my training routine, Indie is coming on quickly.

At the top of the photo is Hank, who came to me from Montana for 3 months of training while his owner is on holiday in Italy. A brash, young individual with lots of speed and little else when we began, he is settling into an obediant, willing youngster that is intently keen, athletic and intelligent. Hank has a nice feel for his sheep, will stop on a dime, and can run like a scalded cat. He's very quick, and will make a nice trial or ranch dog, as his owner sees fit.

Introducing my rough string. Aren't they grand? We're working hard, discovering each other's style, and finding that sweet spot where everyone is productive and happy. I'm so glad to have 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment