The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pardon Me


My Foster Dog, Lucy
Dexter has shown me the light as far as my love for Miniature Pinschers goes. But, I would never dream of buying a pure-bred when there are literally thousands of them in shelters and rescues all over the country. 20%-30% of those are pure-bred anyway according to the ASPCA.


I don't know what possesses me to do these things, but for reasons I'll never understand, off I went yesterday to the San Diego Animal Shelter to adopt and foster Lucy. And here she is, all energy, love and light filling up my livingroom, and my heart with her irrepressible spirit, her love of anything ball, and her joy. Lucy needs a pardon from the unfortunate life she's led thus far.


Institutionalized for months, Lucy is darker and slightly bigger than 6lb Dexter. Her tail was left behind (sorry) unlike his, which is missing. It's the characteristics they share that endear me to this type of dog. I have had her for little more than 24 hours, and already she loves absolutely nothing more than to be held in my lap, arms wound tightly around her undernourished body. Just like Dexter, she is a complete snuggle-dog.


I don't know her history, and it's better that way. I prefer to remember her how she is today, and the dog she will become. I'm feeding her dog food topped with soaked flax seed 3 times per day to get some weight on those bones. She loves treats too, and has already begun to understand the meaning of "cookies?"



Just spayed 2 days ago, Lucy is also micro-chipped and current on all her shots. A few benefits of adopting from a county animal shelter. They were having a sale on dogs with any black on them. Lucy has a few black hairs, and one small black dot on her tail. At $25 for the package, she was a bargain. She's all set to go to her forever home. Are you lucky and smart enough to have her? Will you grant her pardon? Do you know anyone who will? Any prospective adopter will have to be vetted just like Lucy was, but if you're interested, please let me know. Since I couldn't, I don't see how you can resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment