The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Puppy Class

My friend, Bridget, is in town for Snowbirds on the Border dog trial. She stayed over at my house last night, and since she was idle today, and I just ran Star, I came home early for puppy class. We both have youthful innocents to train, and decided to give 'em a go on the sheep. It's always fun to watch the youngsters.


At 5 months, Bridget's Rainey got the most face time. My camera was drawn to her like cops to donuts. Adorable, don't ya think? She circled, she balanced, she trotted purposefully to her sheep, and she called off beautifully giving us a brilliant demonstration of her "off" button. When not playing with the sheep, she played quietly by herself while we worked the others.


Here she's saying; "my turn?" Either that, or "mom, I love you more 'n my luggage."


"No worries mom, I got this." "It's me and you, right?" "That is right...right?"


Only his 3rd time out, Tam moved from the round pen to the medium field. Small, the round pen. Meduim, the 3 acre field. Large, a hundred and twenty acres. Each time I've worked him he's improved and I'm so happy to report that today was no exception. He's a listener this one, and so very fast. Bridget cracked up when he awkwardly stopped himself hard on a dime with an expression that read; "what did I do that for?" Gotta love those pups...

No pictures of Nell today, but she came out of the round pen too. Her breeder, Vergil Holland, called her mother " the girl gangster," and this apple didn't fall far from that tree. She loves the move I call the scoot and grab, and she executes with intention. I surely can't fault her enthusiasm, and at this stage of the game, I'm quite happy to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment