The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I would never leave

I was here today, at a private ranch not too far from my home, working dogs with a good friend. We were working pretty big, which I haven't had the chance to do in some time. My friend was working from about where I took this picture and I was sending from the tree line across the meadow. To tell you the truth, my dogs really weren't very good, but the weather and the ranch were so indescribably beautiful, that I didn't mind. I was just enjoying being outside in a gorgeous place with my dogs.
It was warm and breezy. After I helped them and my dogs found the sheep, things settled down and they worked fairly well. Lad was disabled in an accident early last year, but I gave him a go and he was the best of my 3. So keen, he's a great listener at any distance and easily took my quiet whistles. I cannot tell you how much he is missed from my line up. Price ran out well after a bit, but acted as though he couldn't hear me at the top. What can I say about him? He's 9 with compromised lung function and has been a tremendous dog. I don't hold it against him. Mirk settled into his work, but there's lots of room for improvement. He remains tense. I believe that what he needs most is more work. He needs to put out a lot of dog tracks and get tired. Today was a good start. Today was good in lots of ways. If I lived in a place like this, I'd never leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment