The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

To Dexter, with love

Warm, oh I am so very warm

Dexter has a friend for life. Susan volunteered for the
Internet Miniature Pinscher Rescue and helped save Dexter from the euthansia needle at an Orange County, CA animal shelter where he languished. For 3 months Susan cared for him, nurtured him, managed his health care, and loved him until graciously surrendering him when I came along. I am forever grateful, but how she was able to do that, I will never know. Dexter is a big part of my life and I could not love him more.

At the slightest hint of a cool breeze, Dexie gets cold. He weighs exactly 5.8 pounds with little fat on his body or hair on his skin. Of course Susan was well aware of this and Dexie is never far from her thoughts. She keeps a picture of him beside her computer at work. After one visit for a quick measure, she crocheted this gorgeous sweater for him, which arrived yesterday in a bright red package. Dexie got mail.
And just in time as our weather has cooled and I recently began noticing little shivers from Dexter here and there.

There are some really good people in this world and in situations like this one, I am reminded. Thanks to Susan for loving and caring for my little man until I could find him. And thanks for continuing to love him so much and letting it show.

Clearly, I am a big fan of rescue and adoption. If you are thinking about getting a dog, know someone who is, or someone who has a place in their home and heart for a dog, please consider rescue and adoption first. It is truly one of the most rewarding things I have ever done, and continues to be with each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment