The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

One year on

This is little Star man working his heart out for me at just 13 months old. I have kept and published a weekly training blog on each and every one of his lessons and unbelievably, it will 52 weeks next Sunday that I've done so. So much has happened in such a short time.

Early on he learned how to keep his feet on the ground (and off me,) how to come when called and walk on a lead. Those lessons seemed so important at the time, and of course they were. At 7 months I started him on sheep not sure whether he was fully mature enough and ready. We took things slow, and with one break to re-group, he has steadily improved and is entered in his first nursery trial to be held in a few months when he will be only 15 months old. That's a lot to ask of one so tender, but I have no expectations other than that he will learn.

Little Star man is a joy to have in my kennel. He gets along with everyone, is playful and joyous, and loves to have his belly rubbed. He's a very sensitive guy and aims to please with every inch of his being. He's tidy in his kennel and I never hear a peep out of him, which is so very nice. He came to me from River Falls Wisconsin at the tender age of 10 weeks. He has grown up with me and the rest of my boys, Mirk, Price and Dexter, and is really coming into his own as a working stockdog. He was selected based on his grand-parentage, (is that a word?) and he has not let me down in any way. Time will tell what the future holds for him and his success at work and on the trial field, but it's been a great ride with him so far. It is remarkable what a difference a year can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment