The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Vigilance in Blue

After 2 years and lots of hope, I am finally sharing my yard with a nesting bluebird pair. She's in and out fairly quickly, and I haven't been able to get many pictures of her. I first noticed I might have a tenant when I saw her trying to stuff a beak full of dried grass through the opening of their custom-built, Blubird special, bird house. She was carrying so much, that she was all but obscured. It wouldn't fit through the door, and for all her effort, almost half ended up on the ground below. These pictures are of the male standing watch while she is out running errands. I watched the other day as he landed nearby with a morsel in his beak. Instantly she appeared next to him to snatch it before diving back into the nest. How did she know he had arrived, I wondered? What was their signal? Was she mad because he was late? Or was she proud of him for being such a good provider? I hope it was the latter, because men thrive on appreciation. Expect lots more Bluebird posts. I am fascinated by my guests. I can't get enough of them. When I see them, I am torn between standing still to enjoy the moment, and getting my camera. With hope, I'll have plenty of opportunity for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment