The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Encore Performance



My new Italian friend, Marina, has bred her bitch to the 2009 International Supreme Champion, ##Dewi Tweed, handled by Richard Millichap of Wales. She contacted me for information about Tweed's sire, Lad, that I imported from Richard a few years ago, and has granted me kind permission to post her video..

Marina visited Richard and Lisa's home, Hendre-Owen Farm in South Wales, for the mating and took this video of Tweed on his home ground. Not only is it a wonderful tribute to this fine dog, but shows the breathtaking scenery that abounds on that gorgeous spot.

At one point, Richard flanks Tweed to move the sheep across the shot, and you see the dog run up and back down the coal tips. These are huge piles of coal mining waste that dot the farm from coal mines for which the area is famous. When I visited Hendre-Owen Farm, Richard's father, Donald, explained to me how, over generations, the Welsh Mountain sheep have adapted to living on the coal. Appartently, so too the dogs. And Richard told me how he famously parked his 4-wheeler on top one time, only to turn back and see it plummet over the edge. He admitted that it made for a long walk home deciding how he was going to tell his dad.

Richard Millichap is arguably one of the most talented handlers in the world today. His success came early in life. He is just now 40 with 1 Supreme championship and 2 reserve championships under his belt, having been won with 3 generations of the same bloodlines. It was no accident, he works hard. I know, as I tried to keep up with him for a few days one July a couple years back. This is a tremendous video. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment