The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

SoHo Faces


Trial field at SoHo

 I made it. I'm here. I drove for just under 800 miles with a 6 pound mutt on my lap, and we're here, all set up safe and sound. My day started well when I flirted madly with a couple of adorable cowboys at the Flying J coffee bar, and it only got better driving through amazing hay fields as far as the eye can see beyond Cedar City. After that an I caught an eyeful of beauty coming through Provo Canyon to Heber City and suddenly we were among friends.
  

The Petersons-sens, Mark and Howard, our intrepid organizers

Howard Peterson, and Mark, no relation, are the guys who make this trial happen. Since 2003, they have taken it from a rag tag bunch of handlers and no spectators to 50 of some of the best in the world, and last year 25,000 visitors. You read that right, 25,000. They ran out of parking, and had to bus them up to the venue. Howard is the Superintendent of the Soldier Hollow venue, and Mark is the event promoter. Together they are unstoppable, and with their families, some of the nicest people you will ever hope to meet.


Shauna Gourley & Lyle at the practice field

We trial because we love our dogs...and then we make friends. Not having trialed much in the last few years, this trip will be for me a rekindling of good friendships. Shauna Gourley lives locally and today donated her time to run the practice field. My good friend, Lyle Lad had a few dogs to work as did I, so we traded outruns, and enjoyed watching each other's youngsters for a lovely afternoon at a well suited practice field nearby. Ron Burkey pulled in today, and I'm parked next to Wilda Bahr who has Connie Fontaine staying with her, in town to handle the set-out. Red Oliver is present, being the only person to have qualified for the double lift every year since the trial's inception. That is until last year, but he was the National Cowdog champ then, and you can't win 'em all.

That's it for day one of SoHo. I have to get up tomorrow at 4am, so I'm signing off. I am meeting Mark at 5am for a 6am appointment an hour and a half away in Salt lake City. We are being interviewed by a SLC morning show and putting om a sheepdog demonstration to promote the trial. Afterward we're taking SoHo to the Shriner's Hospital for the kids. I'm happy to help in any way I can, but I gotta get some sleep so I'll be ready for my close-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment