The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We're Away

Leaving So Cal

My alarm went off this morning at zero-dark-thirty, at least that's what 5am felt like to me. Excited to get going, I hooked up the trailer last night, so today I just threw on some clothes, and after a quick stretch, hair comb, farmer's blow, check of the tires, I loaded the dogs and we were outta there. We were through Barstow by 9, Vegas by noon, and right now I'm sitting in a KOA Kampground in Cedar City, Utah about 300 miles from SoHo.

None of the dogs are worse for wear, even though this is Jed's first road trip. It would have been a good idea to teach him to walk on a leash before the trip, but there's no time like the present. That's what I always say. He's a little more vocal than I like, whining in his crate, the occasional bark, but it's his first day, and I'm confident he'll figure it all out sooner than later. The big dogs are so good that they make him seem worse than he is, and me wish that I hadn't brought him. You gotta pay your dues with puppies though. That's just the way it is.

Dexter's really no help either, going to crazyville each time I leave the trailer. I will have him road-trained as well sooner than later. And that just leaves the big dogs that are lying quietly and calmly outside in the shade making me appreciate them mightily. The only downside to them is that none of them will eat. Mirk is my worst eater anyway, and turned up his nose absolutely to dinner which I enhanced with some liver treats hoping to pique his appetite. Didn't work. Star and Price had a few bites, and I've left them with it to see if they finish. My dogs never eat well on the road. Tomorrow night if they're no better I'll bring out the big guns and feed them wet food.

It was a blissfully uneventful trip with everything in good working order. I tuned up thoroughly before leaving, and tried to anticipate problems. The one thing I didn't check...the trailer microwave which, of course would have been the source of all my meals. It has power to it, but the key pad is dead. This is really bad because I don't cook... ever, and have a full compliment of Lean Cuisine on board now rendered permanently frozen unless I can get someone to take pity on me at SoHo and let me use their functioning microwave. Otherwise I'll be eating a lot of salads and fruit, and I suppose there are worse things.

I'll be at Soho mid-day, and more than likely one of the first, if not the first one there. That's always good, because just the right parking spot is so important. Hey, and how about this??? I'm mobile computing...thanks to Jan and loan of her slick little netbook. Pretty kewl.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you arrived safely for the night. Can you cook the dinner in a pan instead? I don't cook either.