The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Introducing Jed

Still in the whelping box at just a few weeks old

Here he is, my newest pup acquisition, and my latest project. This is Jed, just 8 weeks old here, that came to me after quite a long wait. My friend Llona had planned to breed his mother, Sweet, for some time now, but there was one failed attempt before she was finally put to Suzi Applegate's former nursery champ, Buzz successfully. Was he worth the wait? No way to know, but I hope so.

So you breed the best to the best and hope for the best. In this case, Jed's grandfather is one of my all-time favorite sires, Davidson's ##Star, a former International Supreme Champion, and father to my former Moe. I l-o-v-e-d Moe, so I decided to take a chance on Jed.

              In the car on the way home

If you count the dogs that don't count, like retired Price, and lap-dog, Min-Pin Dexter, Jed makes 5 dogs under my care. If you don't, then there's only my open dog, Mirk, my nursery dog Star, and now Jed, my latest project. 3 sounds so much more sensible than 5, so let's just go with that for now.

Getting acquainted on our first day together

Jed is proving to be sensible, intelligent, and very committed to me already. He will not let me out of his sight, and willingly follows me every where. He has met the older dogs without incident, and Dexter has gotten his bluff in early acting pretty darned cranky with the little guy. I explained to Dexter that he simply can't be de-throned by anything, but he must assume you can't be too careful. So far Jed has taken it well, and I wonder how long it will last.

So, little Jed is finding his way and beginning to settle in. He is learning his first puppy lessons of feet on the floor and the meaning of "here, here," and pretty much taking it all in stride. We have a long way to go he and I, but we've taken the first steps together, so we're well under way.

Settling in

1 comment: