The Real Time Canine II

After spending 2 years writing the Real Time Canine, the adventure continues with The Real Time Canine II. Read along as I look for just the right puppy to continue the experience. After false starts with Tim and Jed, I am currently training young Tam, and Spot, which are both off to a strong start. Please visit the RTC II to read about training sessions as they occur.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ram Tough



I was gone for a week to a dog trial. I had ewe about to lamb that I didn't want to leave home with the critter caretaker, so I took her up to my friend Karen in Ramona. She raises lambs too, and has been shepherding her small flock successfully for some time. I knew my first-lambing yearling would be in good hands.



This little guy is the result. Isn't he handsome? He should be. His mother is a well bred Border Cheviot crossed onto a strapping Wensleydale/Blue-Faced Leicester Ram . He has his father's ears, his mother's intelligent face, and I've been looking forward to this cross every since I bought the ewes and my ram as weanlings last year.


Karen said he was born the day after I dropped him at her place. I knew I was cutting it close. My friend came out the next morning, and there he was. Mother had cleaned him, he was up and nursing. Cheviots are known for easy lambing and superior mothering instincts. As you can see, the milk bar is full, and her baby is nursing vigorously. This pair is all I hoped for.


I haven't decided whether I'll castrate him, or leave him as a ram. I'll wait a bit and see how he develops in the next couple weeks. Of course, I would rather have had a ewe lamb to increase my breeding flock, but like human babies, I'm less concerned with the sex than I am with the baby's health. Look at him! He's healthy...and gorgeous.


Mother was happy to get home today. Turned out with her sisters, she introduced her new babe allowing the others to give him a sniff. Eventually, she would have no part of the other ewes touching her baby and gave a strong shove to anyone coming close. They got the message. The rules of engagement have been set.

No comments:

Post a Comment